The University of Toronto President, Meric Gertler, shamefully ignored the UofT divestment advisory committee and is refusing to divest UofT from fossil fuels. For some reason he thinks it's a good idea to continue to invest in the companies that are actively and knowingly* destroying our future.
But we’ve not lost. Far from it. Not only has Toronto350 and UofT350 already created international impacts through the UofT campaign,† we're also continuing the fight here in Toronto.
This month we've already done a tonne of stuff—and if you click any of these links, make sure to read below... We've:
- organized a student rally (vid, and check out the cute baby ;),
- brought oil to Gertler's doorstep (vid),
- crashed the prestigious Cressy Awards with a banner and by wearing divestment t-shirts,
- inspired the release of a song,
- got an op-ed in the Globe and Mail, an article about us in the Varsity, and an interview and article with CBC,
- received solidarity from Divest McGill (vid) and the Arts and Sciences Students' Union,
- saw the UofT divestment committee to write an open letter to Gertler,
- wrote two press releases (on Gertler's bad decision and the rally),
- made a satirical poster,
- scared Gertler into closing his office,
- and inspired dozens of alumni to pledge not to donate to UofT until it divests.