Join TO350 as we call for Climate Justice Now! Real Action @COP 26! on the November 6 Global Day for Climate Justice.
What: COVID-safe rally with music, performers and speakers
When: Saturday, November 6, 1 pm
Where: Queen’s Park (south lawn)
More details: Facebook event page
With recent extreme weather events and new promises made by the Federal government, we must hold our leaders accountable at COP26. The climate crisis threatens our homes, health, and happiness, and promises to exacerbate existing inequalities. Unless significant action is taken, these threats will quickly multiply. The time for business as usual and empty promises is over.
We need the Canadian government and other Global North countries to move beyond climate negotiations and move toward climate justice.
- Indigenous Sovereignty
- Fossil Fuel Phase-Out
- Just Transition for Communities and Workers
- Global Justice
More on the demands here.
The COP 26 meetings happening now in Glasgow, Scotland, are the latest round of international meetings set in motion more than 30 years ago to solve the climate crisis. Despite all the COP conferences, reports and agreements, carbon emissions continue to rise globally with Canada the worst of the G7 countries.
The people that bear the least responsibility for the climate crisis are bearing the brunt: Indigenous Peoples, Pacific-Islanders and climate refugees fleeing drought, fire and flood. Inaction by wealthy nations threatens to doom the African continent to average temperature rises of at least 3.5 degrees.
Canada is an official signatory to the Paris Agreement to keep global average temperatures from rising more than 1.5 degrees above the pre-industrial average, and claims to lead the climate fight. Actions speak louder than promises however! As long as Canada continues to pursue policies favourable to the fossil fuel industry, buy and construct pipelines and use RCMP and other police forces to violate Indigenous sovereignty, its promises are empty and climate injustice increases.
Protesters around the world are gearing up to pressure leaders for action on the Global Day of Action for Climate Justice on November 6.
Join us here in Toronto, for speakers, music and performances as we raise our voices for climate justice.
- Crystal Sinclair, a Cree woman from the Fisher River Cree First Nation in Manitoba, Chair of Foodshare and founding member of Idle No More Toronto
- Nigel Barriffe, a teacher and member of Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario and president of Urban Alliance on Race Relations
- Skyler Williams, Six Nations land defender and spokesperson for 1492 Landback Lane
- Andria Babbington, the first Black woman president of the Toronto and York Region Labour Council
- Alice Zhu, environmental science PhD student at U of T and member of People's Climate Movement
- Zoe Keary-Matzner, youth climate justice activist
- Sigfried Niklāvs Hemming, an 18 year old climate justice activist, artist, and musician
- Mohammad Ali Aumeer, Socialist Hip Hop
- Susanne Maziarz, music director, accompanist, section lead, keyboard/vocals/songwriter
- Cassie Norton, singer-songwriter, violinist/multi-instrumentalist and climate activist
Some ways to help:
- Save the date: Save the date to ensure you can make it to the action and encourage friends, family and colleagues to do the same! Click going on our facebook event page or share the link to your circles!
- Stay Up-To-Date: Sign up for email updates on the coalition and the Day of Action here.
- Share: Share on social media channels. Here's a social media toolkit to help with posting.
- Poster: download and print posters and leaflets here. Or pick-up some up in the foyer of the Steelworkers' Hall, 25 Cecil St., Monday to Friday 9 to 5 (Covid restrictions apply).
- Invite: Invite the Toronto Global Day for Climate Justice Committee to address members at an official meeting or event about the strike.
- Contribute: Helping us fund the strike would be greatly appreciated. We mostly spend on honoraria for performers, a stage and sound system, barricades, ASL interpreters, accessibility van, etc. To contribute financially, please reach out to [email protected] or donate via our GoFundMe
- Volunteer: Volunteer to help out on the day of the strike here!
The climate crisis needs as much attention as possible, any participation is valued!
Organized by representatives of the following groups: Toronto and York Region Labour Council, Steelworkers Toronto Area Council, Greenpeace, Good Jobs for All coalition, Fridays for Future Toronto, Artists for Real Climate Action, Toronto350, ClimateFast, Urban Alliance on Race Relations, Banking on a Better Future
Rally endorsed by: Idle No More – Toronto,Toronto and York Region Labour Council, Steelworkers Toronto Area Council, Labour Education Centre, Greenpeace, Council of Canadians, United Steelworkers Local 1998, Seniors for Climate Action Now, Ontario Clean Air Alliance, Toronto 350, Climate Pledge Collective, Good Jobs for All, ClimateFast, Fridays for Future Toronto, Toronto Climate Action Network, People’s Climate Movement – Toronto, TTCriders
For more information, please visit the website at http://nov6toronto.org/ or send an email to [email protected].