On September 27th, Friday’s For Future Toronto (F4FTO) spearheaded the Global Climate strike which drew crowds of 50,000+ to Queen’s Park. Now, the F4FTO youth organizers for Climate Strikes Canada are planning their next global climate strike!
The strike will take place on Black Friday, November 29th, the Friday before the UN Climate Change Conference in Madrid, Spain. The rally will be at Queen’s Park at 11:30 with the March at 12 noon. Find the facebook event listing at Global Strike for Climate Justice.
The Need for Climate Justice
In the wake of the election, despite a commitment to stronger climate action, our government voiced support for fossil fuel expansion and the TransMountain pipeline. Destructive choices like this one mean that Indigenous communities face ongoing colonial violence and the need to protect unceded territories against the encroachment of industry. For example, the Tiny House Warriors, a group of Secwepemc land and water defenders who have constructed a village and are living along the proposed TransMountain pipeline route and the Wet'suwet'en, who are peacefully occupying Unist'ot'en healing camp.
Emissions from our fossil fuel industry continue to rise, growing 23% between 2005-2017, largely because of in-situ tar sands production. At the same time, in the global south and other places where they emit significantly less per capita, severe weather, sea level rise and drought increase people's suffering and force them to leave their homes.
Within Canada, oil and gas workers need help transitioning to more sustainable jobs. There is also a widening gap between the rich and the poor, with many of those in low-carbon jobs, including migrant workers, lacking needed wages and protections.
To address the climate crisis, we must change this broken system, working for the social, racial and economic justice that is climate justice.
Stand with F4FTO, a non-partisan, climate activist group that consists of dedicated youth volunteers who seek to call attention to the severity of the climate crisis and advocate for climate justice. Find their demands here.
Ways you can help!
1. Share on Social Media and with your networks….
2. Poster & hand-out leaflets at events….
Print Posters are available at several locations around the city:
- GreenPeace (9:30-5 weekdays), 33 Cecil Street
- Trinity St. Paul’s (9-10) 427 Bloor St. W.
- Worker’s Action Centre (10-6 weekdays) 720 Spadina Ave, 2nd Fl
- Eastminster UC (9-10) 310 Danforth Ave
- Friend’s House (9-10) 60 Lowther Ave
- Community Centre 55 (9-9 M-Th, 9-5 Fri, 10-1 Sat, 11-3 Sun), 97 Main St
Check to see if there is a leafleting session you can join here.
Or, check out the Outreach Schedule and choose an event.
3. Be a Marshal - commitment is 10:30 - 2:00 pm on November 29th. Find the eventbrite sign-up here.
4. Donate - If you or your organization are able to, send an e-transfer to email@example.com. Or make a cheque out to Fridays for Future Toronto.